Friday 22 October 2010

'We are a generation of dreamers and believers'

Don't you just love it when you walk into your living room and you see your brother on his laptop, your dad on the phone and your mum and sister heavily engrossed in the TV programme they are watching. No-one was talking to each other. A part of me felt like shutting down the wireless connection, turning off the TV and demanding that my dad take us to the park so we can have a picnic and throw a Frisbee around or whatever it is families do at parks.
Why did I have this incredulous idea?
I have no idea.
But it was nothing more than an idea. If I'm honest, that scenario was never ever going to happen for two reasons.

A) that is just not what my family do anymore and
B)
grey clouds filled the sky that day like fireworks on bonfire night.


Instead, I decided to just marvel at technology. As you do. I mean, everything is so fast and just there, in your face. There are no excuses anymore. I can do my shopping online, I can learn a language online, I can pass a degree online, I can see my friends online through Skype, I can watch films online, I can get an online job. If I wanted to, I could just never leave the house. Ever.
Everything is just so fast... Fast food, fast cars, next day delivery, e-mail, text messages.
We are a generation of 'fast' and 'speed' and 'I want it right now'.
We have been shaped to be impatient. Waiting. What is that? It's like we never have to wait around anymore. And when we do, it's the worst feeling in the world, like waiting for the bus or waiting around A&E for hours. Technology has taken over. I wouldn't be surprised if we had robots next to do our cleaning like in I,Robot. I'm sure people are working on that you know. How cool would that be though?

We are a generation of 'fast' and 'speed' and 'I want it right now'.
We are also a generation of dreamers and believers.
Never has it been so easy to be who you want to be. Most of the time its a case of being in the right place at the right time but if you have real talent and persistence, its as if there is nothing you can not do or become. You have the music and film industry spitting out stars over night. Xfactor and Youtube means there really is no excuses.
You wanna be a singer?
You wanna be an actor?
You wanna live in Hollywood?
Do it. Just do it.
Even in Uni. There are opportunities left right and centre. It's great. Life is great.
I think we are ambitious.
I think we less likely to give up entirely on dreams, ideas, projects that we want to see through.
I think we are aiming higher and higher.
And that is goooooood. Because if you aim to see the stars, you are most definitely going to see the clouds. And that is just as good.




"The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim too high and we miss it, but we aim too low and reach it." - Michelangelo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave your thoughts and comments.